Friday 2 August 2013

Day Trip | London

Last weekend I took a day trip to London with family. There was no special reason for going, it was just because we wanted to. And what a great day it was, so much so that I wanted to share it all on here with you...

 I was up at 4am in order to get ready and be at the train station for 5.30am after picking up family. (I know, early right?!) It was a lovely morning, there's something beautiful about being awake to see the sunrise. 

Early morning train to the greatest city in the world...

Starbucks on the train to wake me up!
 We arrived at St Pancras station at around 7.30am and it honestly felt like we had the whole of London to ourselves. Everyone was still in bed and the streets were so quiet, it was strange to see London so relaxed!

We spent the whole day on foot, no underground tubs, no trains, no buses. We walked everywhere. I've always said I wanted to walk around London, purely because I feel you miss so much by taking the underground and after all London is a beautiful city, so why not enjoy every last bit of it? (Even if it does severely tire you out, my feet were killing me!!)

London's most famous Buckingham Palace looking very quiet at 9am
Doing so much walking though does mean that you don't get to cover as much of London as you may want to. For example, we didn't get to see the Olympic Stadium, The Shard, St.Pauls Cathedral, Big Ben, The London Eye - although most of these I have seen before. 

The one place I most enjoyed visting was the BBC Broadcasting House. For those that don't know, this is where they research and film BBC News and BBC Weather along with were the new BBC Radio 1 and Radio 1xtra studios are. You are allowed to enter the Broadcasting House Cafe after having a security check and this allows you to overlook the reseachers and the studios where the News and the weather are filmed. Being a media lover and one day hoping to work the BBC, this was a great experience for me! If you're ever in London, I seriously recommend you take a look in. They also do daily tours of the studios allowing you to see behind the scenes, these are pre-booked, so this is something that will be scheduled in for the next London trip in September!

BBC Broadcasting House

Views of BBC News and Weather studios

Although all too soon it was time to head back to St Pancras to catch the train home. I was sad to leave London, after not visiting there for what seems like forever, I really enjoyed it and it's made me realise just how much I love the city. With all the excitement of the Royal Baby, Prince George, it was brilliant to see so many people from different countries getting so excited about being in London. I think I was just has happy to be there as them and I live in the UK!  

St Pancas Station

And that's it, my day in London all wrapped up into one, I hopefully blog about my September trip to London too, which I am very excited about!

Have you visited London? What do love most about it? Let me know in the comments!

x


No comments:

Post a Comment