Wednesday 8 May 2013

Mark Owen - Stars

Stars is the brand new single from Take That's very own Mark Owen and features on his up and coming album The Art of Doing Nothing. Having not released any solo material since 2005, this is very exciting for Take That/Mark Owen fans across the world, just like myself!



The artwork for the single (as shown above) is very simplistic, featuring Mark stood looking at pencil drawn stars on strings, and with his hand written name and single name placed next to him. I'm a big fan of basic artwork and so I really like the way this is designed. I think it reflects the simplicity of the single and the whole album in fact. Massive artists always seem to be making a huge fuss, working in numerous studios with various producers, yet Mark is able to strip things back, work along side very few people and still make such a beautiful sounding song. All the vocals, pianos and guitars on Stars were recorded in his very own studio at the bottom of his garden, named 'The Rabbit Hutch'. This is one of the many reason I love and admire Mark, he is able to take on a challenge, do it in his own simple way and make something great of it! 

The bridge and chorus of the song is as follows - 
'From the top of the empire
To a state unknown
If I said that I'm leaving
Just got to hang on

Cus' we're just Stars
Tryin' to get back to where we're from
And one by one
We're gonna leave this planet
So don't look back
Cos' you known that it's all just time
When you've got nothing on your mind
You've made it'

And so when listening to the song, I interpreted that its looking at the idea that no matter where you are in life, either right at the top - 'At the top of the empire' or right at the bottom - 'To a state unknown' - you have to keep a positive outlook out on life and do what feels right at the time, because when it comes to the end, you don't want to look back and have regrets. 


The video for the single is very different and features Mark walking around the streets of Berlin in a space suit before returning home to his family, who are also in space suits. I love the video and it is one of the most innovative I've seen this year and is defiantly one of my favourites! 

Watch the video below -


I think I, along with so many other fans, can conclude that Stars is an amazing single and is set to be a huge hit! I'm also very excited for The Art of Doing Nothing which is set for release on the 10th of June, after finally pre-ordering my copy today! (pre-order yours here if you haven't already - Mark Owen - TAODN (Standard Edition) or Mark Owen - TAODN (Deluxe Edition))

x



No comments:

Post a Comment